Gozan no Okuribi
Holidays & Days of Note for August 2, 2014
* 的七夕节在 “Tanabata Festival”, also known as Qixi Fesival, Festival of Seven Daughters, Festival of Double Sevens and Chinese Valentine’s Day (Chinese Culture) The Goddess of Heaven (also known as the Queen of Heaven) had seven beautiful, young daughters. The seven daughters came down to earth. They decided to bathe in a pristine river, leaving their clothes on the shore. Along came an ox herder named “Niu Lang”. He took their clothes to see what they would do. The daughters decided that the youngest, and most beautiful, named Zhi Nü should go out of the water and recover their clothes. Because Niu Lang saw her naked, they had to get married. They fell madly in love, and shared several years of marital bliss.
Finally, her mother became irritated by her absence from Heaven, and ordered her to return. Seeing how much Zhi Nü missed her husband, the Jade Emperor of Heaven brought the couple back together. Ultimately, Zhi Nü was allowed to visit her husband, Niu Lang just once a year. The annual reunion occurs on the 7th day of the 7th month of the Lunar Calendar.
* National Pretty is As Pretty Does Day (U.S.) ?….Okay, whatever.
* National Ice Cream Sandwich Day (U.S.)
* National Mustard Day (U.S.) do NOT mix these last two together!
* Also as of today the Lincoln penny is 105 years old.